Love is in the air! Celebrate your special occasion with these delectable mini mocha cakes, lovingly baked to perfection and dressed up with luscious vanilla frosting. Serve single-layer or double-the love – topped off either way by a sprinkle of fresh berries or festive sprinkles - an ideal treat for Valentine's Day, anniversaries, smash cake celebrations…or just because you deserve it!
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- heaping ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup hot coffee, use our Irish Mocha Mint Flavored Coffee
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons milk or half and half
- Fresh berries or sprinkles, for decorating.
For the cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of four 4-inch (7oz) ramekins with rounds of parchment. Set aside.
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add egg, milk, oil, and vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes. Add hot coffee or hot water, and beat until just combined. The batter will be thin.
- Divide evenly between four prepared ramekins (I used a little over ⅓ cup batter per ramekin). Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the top springs back when you touch them, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the ramekins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Frosting and decorating:
- Run a thin knife around the edge of each ramekin and carefully remove each cake. With a serrated knife, gently cut the dome off the top of each cake.
- For the frosting: Using a deep bowl, with a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat powdered sugar and butter until smooth (starting the mixer low, then slowly increasing the speed). Add vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of milk. Beat on medium speed for a minute or two, until light and fluffy. If the frosting appears too thick, add an additional teaspoon of milk.
- Spread the frosting onto the top of each cake. You can leave the cakes in a single layer or stack them to make a double layer cake. Decorate the top with berries or sprinkles.
Irish Mocha Mint Flavored Coffee: The smooth creamy flavour of Irish cream combined with the flavour of chocolate mint is indescribably delicious; this is why the Irish Mocha Mint coffee is the best fusion of flavours! This coffee offers an incredible flavour combination with the cool and refreshing taste of chocolate, mint, and warm delectable Irish cream. Infused with our carefully selected Arabica coffee beans and specially crafted to perfection, this coffee blend is sure hard to resist! One sip of Irish Mocha Mint flavoured coffee and you'll want to kiss the Blarney Stone!
Mexican Liqueur & Cream Flavored Coffee: This coffee blend possesses the smoky and sultry sensations of Mexican Liqueur in cream. The heady aroma of musk and molasses produces an intensely sweet-smelling fragrance that will possess your senses. Allow the intoxicating essence of Mexican Liqueur and cream to invoke the visions of alluring white sandy beaches, lush tropical forests, and breathtaking crystal blue waters. Bask in the glow of the sun and sail away with our little version of paradise in Monte Rosa Gourmet Coffee's exquisite Mexican Liqueur and Cream flavoured coffee. This finely roasted coffee is here to delegate your senses to absolute pleasure with no alcohol. Enjoy and let your senses take over!